Pages

Sunday 8 September 2013

One on One: Sally Jessy Raphael




I'm excited to post my next One on One with talk show legend Sally Jessy Raphael. I was a fan of hers since I was a little guy. I can remember watching her shows with my mom everyday.




Talking to her everyday on Twitter is lots of fun... She's hilarious! I'm glad she's taking part in One on One and sharing one her favourite recipes with us.





------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Chef D: Are there any big projects in the works for you right now that you can share
with us??

Sally: Yes, but I can't announce it just yet. As I've said on Twitter, as soon as the brass say it's ok, I'll announce it on Twitter.
Chef D: You are well known for the red glasses... How did they come about. Is there a story behind them famous frames?

Sally: Oy, I've been asked that question 1,000s of times. I could have shot and killed a man, and people would still ask where did the red glasses come from? lol. The simple answer is, I was doing a TV show and having trouble reading the teleprompter, so I went to a local optician who was advertising a special - frames and lenses for some cheap price.  The catch was, the frames with the deal were only one pair, and they were red. So I said, if that's the pair that come with the deal, then that's the pair I'll take. As luck would have it, they looked good on tv! The rest is history.

Chef D: I can remember watching your show as a young guy each and everyday. Loving the topics you brought. What are your thoughts on the talk shows these days? I would love to see you bring a show back. You and Oprah were and always will be my favorite.

Sally: Another question I've been asked a million times and is very well-documented out there. Come on Derek - you can do better! lol

Chef D: Who is your most memorable guest you ever interviewed, is there someone that you haven't had the chance to sit down and talk to but hope to one day. Lastly is there something you can tell us that maybe we don't know about Sally Jesse Raphael.

Sally: You can't be much of a fan, Derek - 3rd question in a row that I've answered a million times even on Twitter!! AND you spelled my name wrong! Jeez. Ok, Audrey Hepburn is my favorite interview ever. I wish I could have interviewed Ghandi.

And what people don't seem to know is that it's spelled Sally JESSY. ; ) (Oops)

Hey Derek, before an "interview", do a little research!! I'm teasing you, but not really. lol

Chef D: Last but certainly not least. What is one dish you make at home, that you enjoy making that you can share with us...

Sally: People love celebrity recipes, don't they? It amazes me, because (myself excluded) most celebs can't do a damned thing for themselves, especially cook! My husband and I used to have a B&B in Bucks County, PA and served a unique French Toast that the guests loved, so that's become my go-to recipe for overnight guests in our home too. Here it is:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



STUFFED FRENCH TOAST

1 Loaf of bread broken into cubes
8 eggs
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1/3 cup raw, unfiltered honey
1 1/3 cups half/half (or milk)

Grease a 9x13 pan line with 1/2 of the bread cubes.

Add cream cheese in pieces to the top of the bread.

Top with the other half of the bread cubes.

Mix eggs, milk, and honey and pour over the bread.

Cover and place in the fridge overnight.

Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.

Dust with powdered sugar and serve with berries and syrup.
Mix eggs, honey and milk; set aside. In a 9x13" greased pan, evenly layer 1/2 of the bread cubes, then cheese, and top with the rest of the bread cubes. Pour egg mixture over bread, cover, and leave in refrigerator overnight. Bake at 350~ for 35-40 minutes. Serve with syrup.
--------------------------------
Thank you Sally for taking the time to answer my questions and being part of One on One. Apologies again on the name... I'm a beginner lol.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Chef D, look at you and your star studded interviews! This is a fun one, and her French Toast looks fab. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Courtney.. Thanks so much, I'm having fun talking with them all. But I love the recipes. The Stuffed French Toast is killer!! More great One on One's coming!!!

Unknown said...

I love french toast, made the traditional way - dip the bread, never thought to do it this way.

While nothing beats fresh off the griddle / out of the oven:

Sometimes with a really hectic schedule (or if bread goes on sale or eggs or both), if I set up to make French toast, I make two loaves + , then have a breakfast, put another in fridge for the next day, then freeze Tupperwares with 4ea to pull out later, so there is handy snacks for a number of days, kids can warm in toaster oven (or microwave - don't have one).

Any advice on above?

I wonder if you can pre-make the ingredients for Stuffed French Toast and partially let set in fridge, for half the time, make 5 batches and then thaw for other half of standing time - 1 tray at a time and bake, and if it is worth it?

Guess it depends on prep time - I didn't notice but do you post pre time's on some recipes - any estimate really helps us busy (disorganized) people :), and on good ways to store it.

Many don't cook either because they are single, so it is a lot to cook a few courses for one person, many don't cook always because busy family schedules take up their time...both might be helped by bulk cooking, buying and storing.

I know you are a busy guy, so thanks for anything in advance - having pro advice for personal questions is always appreciated !

Just a brainstorm - maybe you can have an advice section - where you answer cooking questions not related to your current posts - might bring in new ideas, maybe if it gets used - you can pick /vote the best question to be answered, who knows - maybe with a sponsorship from a good restaurant for the winning question...

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10