Pages

Sunday 6 October 2013

One on One: Antonina MacDonald

 

I wanted to do my One on One this week on a friend who's very close to my heart, Antonina MacDonald. I would like to share her touching story with you all. This will be one of my most important posts that I share with you. Ant is the wife of my very best friend from work Jeff MacDonald. Here is Antonina's story in her own words...
-----------------------------------------------------
I was diagnosed with kidney failure at the age of twelve at which time I received hemodialysis treatments three days a week. I received two kidney transplants, of which the first did not work. On April 17th, 1984 I received the second kidney transplant which allowed me to enjoy good health and a full life. I named my kidney Charly as a way of validating him and ensuring that this precious gift of life would never be taken for granted. 

I think that is why he worked so hard for me. Although there were times when our health was not at it's best, Charly and I pulled through focusing on the positive and grateful for the time we had together.  On April 17, 2012 Charly officially went into retirement . He worked hard for me... Hanging on for 28 years. The donor family would be proud to know that their loved one had an extension of life and was validated on this earth even after their physical passing. I was able to build a foundation that stabilized my relationships, home and career. A foundation that allowed me to live and not take for granted the beauty of this world and the people we share it with. I'm now back on dialysis and learned that I am unable to receive another kidney. However this only means that someone, who is in desperate need will get the one reserved for me. I wanted to acknowledge Charly's quarter of a century contribution, so I developed an anniversary cookie in his honour. It's been known to have super magic powers.

-------------------------------------------------------



Charly's Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookie

2 cups butter, salted
1 cup fruit sugar
3 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 rice flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup powered sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350'. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl cream butter and fruit sugar.
In a separate bowl sift and stir both flours (All purpose & Rice). Beat into butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
Mound batter in tablespoon size amounts onto baking sheet. About 1 inch apart.
Bake for 18 minutes or until ever so lightly brown. Cool on wire rack.
When cookies are cool, dust lightly with powdered sugar.
------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Donate to the Kidney Foundation of Canada:




















Become an Organ Donor:


Follow Antonina on Twitter and Instagram
----------------------------------------
Thanks again, Ant, for sharing your story and taking part in One on One! Love always, Derek xoxo...


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10