Pages

Sunday 5 January 2014

One on One: Beth Maitland



I'm so blessed to have such a great actress take part in One on One this week. I'm a fan amongst many that just adore Beth Maitland. It's always a joy talking with Beth. She is a very kind woman... Also since her husband is a chef as well maybe we can work together some time...lol!

-------------------------------------------------------

Chef D: What was your very first role in TV or movie, did you always want to be a actress? Who did you look up to as a role model that made you decide to become who you are today..

Beth: I did my first play when I was 13 years old, Arthur Miller's "The Crucible" and I was hooked.  I knew from that moment that I wanted to be an actress.  My favorite actors were Jimmy Stewart and Katherine Hepburn, and they remain favorites with some modern additions:  Judy Dench, Johnny Depp, Jeremy Irons, and of course, Meryl Streep.
 
Chef D: Are you working on any upcoming projects that you can share with the readers and your fans?

Beth: Upcoming projects:  None acting, except returning in the New Year to more Y&R.  I will also be returning to my production job (behind the scenes) at Baby Daddy for ABC Family to finish the season, and Dads for Fox to finish their run both through the beginning of February.  In addition, I have started my second quilting book, and am getting ready to start photography on the chapter projects...the subject is tea, and there may even be a recipe or two...as well as some shots of celebrity guests in this one.

Chef D: What was your very first role in TV or movie, did you always want to be a actress? Who did you look up to as a role model that made you decide to become who you are today..

Beth: My first thing on film was a small commercial, and a small part in a movie of the week for CBS in the early 80's called: Situation Comedy.  Y&R was my first major on camera role, although I had done over 80 plays, musicals and operas.

Chef D: You are best known for your role in Young & The Restless as Traci Abbot Connolly, but when you first started Y&R were you considered for another character?


Beth: I was brought in to play Traci Abbott, but the role was unusual, and I was only expecting to work over the summer on a three month story arc.  The fan mail and response was so good, they kept me on, and I have entered my 31st year playing the role.
Since then, my two favorite projects were:  in 'Mr. Holland's Opus' with Richard Dreyfus I played a principal of a deaf school, and got to speak and sign my role.  And for ABC, I was in a special production of 'Plaza Suite' with Carol Burnett and Hal Holbrook, which was one of my favorite jobs!!

Chef D: Being on TV for as long as you have your fans may think they know everything about Beth Maitland, but is there something that you do they may not know about you?

Beth: My secret acting wish is to be a regular in a night time mystery series like Sherlock or Black List.  Love ensemble casts and would love to explore a new genre.  (mystery books are my favorite read)
 
Chef D: And finally when at home with your family, can you share with us a family recipe that you make that is a huge hit at the dinner table.
 
Beth: As a gift, I sent my husband to chef school, so I am often spoiled by his cooking for special occasions.  I do most of the every day cooking for our family, and just spent the last year living in Santa Ynez next to a Danish village called Solvang.  I took away this favorite one dish meal that has become a family favorite.
--------------------------------------------------

Chicken and Spaetzle

1 package boneless chicken breast or breast tenders
  (cut into bitesize pieces, patted dry and lightly coated with flour)
1/2 stick butter
1 package baby bella mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
1 can chicken broth
1/2 bottle dry white wine
1/2 tsp beau monde seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 small bag frozen peas

In a large saute or frying pan, melt butter, add chicken pieces till cooked, then add half of the chicken broth and the mushrooms to sauté till tender.  Add the wine a bit at a time to keep the liquid from getting too thick, and add the chicken broth as the mixture reduces.  Add the frozen peas last, about ten minutes before serving, so they stay firm but cooked.
The chicken and sauce should be fairly thick.

In salted boiling water with a drizzle of olive oil:
cook Spaetzle 12 to 14 minutes or until tender
(Spaetzle is a Danish thin, round egg noodle that is available at specialty grocers or import stores in the pasta or international section)

Turn Spaetzle into large serving bowl.  Toss with butter or olive oil to coat.  Pour Chicken and gravy over the Spaetzle and turn gently.  Serve hot with crusty bread and perhaps a green salad.

Serves 4
--------------------------

Thanks again to Beth for taking part in this week's One on One! Since I'm a big fan of Y&R, I feel more than honoured that she would take time out of her busy schedule to participate. 


Beth's Twitter
Beth's Facebook
Beth's website


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10