Pages

Saturday 16 November 2013

One on One: Melissa Gilbert



This week's One on One has been the one that I've been looking forward to sharing with you the most. I have been a fan of Melissa's since I was just a little guy. I was always very impressed with her incredible talent when I'd watch her on TV and movies... but of course my all time favorite is Little House on the Prairie.
 

 I would watch that with Mom always it was our favorite show, so to have Melissa take part just means the world to me. Talking with Melissa is always a pleasure because she's so kind. Melissa is also the President of "Halfpint Enterprises", the National Spokesperson for drugfree.org, and the Standing Board chair for Children's Hospice and Palliative Care Coalition. Just incredible work... what an amazing lady.


-------------------------------------------------------------------

Chef D: What are some of you're upcoming projects?

Melissa: I'm working on a film now called One Song. My children's book " Daisy and Josephine" comes out January 28,2014, my cookbook will be released September 2014.

Chef D: You're most recognized for playing "Half Pint" on Little House.. While on set did you ever show off your cooking talents with the cast?

Melissa: I never got to cook on set. All of the food we ate on the show was pre-made. I did bake cookies and brownies to bring to the crew a few times.

Chef D: Is there an actor or actress that you have never worked with but hope to one day?

Melissa: Too many to name. The first that comes to mind is my brilliant husband Timothy Busfield.

Chef D: As a child I always looked up to my Grandma Paterson. I admired how she cooked and made everything taste so good. She's the reason for me being a chef today. Is there someone that you admired or looked up to as child?

Melissa: Julia Child. I watched her show whenever I could. She had such a ease and a sense of fun. She made the process of cooking seem like an art but an attainable art. Then,of course,there was Graham Kerr, The Galloping Gourmet. He fascinated me. I loved his flare, the wine drinking while cooking, the laughter when he messed up made the most complicated dish seem doable.

Chef D: When you are at home with your family is there dish that they absolutely love when you make and can you share that recipe with me for my blog...

Melissa: my family goes bananas for nearly everything I cook. Especially when I make comfort food. Here's one of their favorites that will also be in my book;

----------------------------------------------------------

Pasta with Mushroom Cream Sauce

1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
2 cups hot water
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound fresh cremini mushrooms, chopped
8 ounces fresh portobello mushrooms, stemmed, dark gills scraped off, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 dried bay leaf
1/3 cup dry red wine
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound bow tie, fusilli, or penne pasta
1 cup beef broth
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Put the porcini mushrooms in a small bowl and pour the hot water over them. Let stand until the mushrooms soften, about 25 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mushrooms to a work surface and coarsely chop. Discard the soaking liquid.

Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped porcini, the cremini and portobello mushrooms, and the garlic and bay leaf. Sauté until the mushrooms are brown and tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add the red wine and simmer until almost all the liquid evaporates, scraping up any browned bits, about 1 minute. Season the mushroom mixture to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.

Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally. Drain well.

Stir the beef broth and cream into the mushroom mixture, put back on the stove over medium heat, and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the Parmesan cheese, butter, and drained pasta; toss to coat. Cook until the sauce coats the pasta, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot, with more Parmesan.

Serves 4 to 6

--------------------------------------------------------
Thanks again to Melissa for participating in this week's One on One. I'm so grateful that she was able to take the time to take part.

 

Follow Melissa on Twitter and Instagram
Check out her official website

 
www.drugfree.org


www.childrenshospice.org



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10